‘Return us to Work,’ Talisay Employees Ask CSC
Twenty-four permanent employees of Talisay City government filed a petition before the Civil Service Commission (CSC) for their reinstatement after they were dismissed from service by Talisay City Mayor Neil Lizares.
In a press conference at the NPC office yesterday, 16 members of the Talisay City Government Employees for Reforms claimed that they were dismissed without due process.
Some of them have been employed by the city government for 16 years while some have been in service for nine years.
They claimed that the Lizares administration are offering to employ them back but as casual or job order employees which they refused.
“The act must be condemned in the strictest sense as the act violated not only our constitutional right to security of tenure but also our dignity as human beings,” the employees said.
Ma. Corazon Robles, president of the group said that they will bring the matter to the Civil Service Commission hoping that they will be reinstated as regular employees.
They claimed that they are identified to be supporters of former Mayor Eric Saratan that’s why they were dismissed from service.
But they reasoned out that they have been working and continued performing their respective duties after the change of administration.
Aside from their reinstatement, the employees are also calling for an immediate drug testing of all government employees of Talisay City Hall in line with the all out campaign of the Duterte Administration to stop drug addiction in the country.
They made the call on suspicion that there are employees in the city government who are into illegal drugs.
The employees also join the clamor of other government employees and that of the private sector to end contractualizaton of labor in the government service and in the private sector as well.
In a statement, the Office of Talisay City Mayor Neil Lizares through City Legal officer Kirk Magnabe said that last month, the newly-assumed appointing authority of the City of Talisay, has cancelled the
appointments of twenty-four (24) employees made last February 16, 2016 to March 23, 2016 by the previous administration.
A thorough investigation was conducted and the department heads of the twenty-four (24) casual employees reported that the said employees failed to assume office in their designated departments for more than thirty (30) days from date of their appointment and there were no valid detail orders for them to report to another office which is a violation of the Civil Service Rule on Appointments, the the statement further said.
“The due process that they were referring to are those cases involving disciplinary action. However, in this case what is involved is non-disciplinary action where it only pertains to the effectivity of their appointments,” it said.
“Again, we are not closing our doors to these employees whose appointments were rendered ineffective. In fact, seven (7) of them already re-applied,” Lizares further stated.*