The spokesman of the main, principal CPP-NPA’s fighting unit, the Apolinario "Boy" Gatmaitan Command, has once more issued a major statement related to the alleged collection of the permit-to-campaign fees, peace talks and that of the alleged genuine but actually fake statement on election issues recently in Moises Padilla town.
Majo. Gen. Jose Mabanta, Jr, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry division, Philippine Army, is reiterating his call to political candidates not to give in to the demands of the CPP-NPA through their Permit to Campaign (PTC) scheme and other extortion activities.
MGen Mabanta Jr issued a statement in a press release: "We are warning them not to allow the CPP-NPA to influence the outcome of this coming election through threats. We have data to support that a handful political contenders are extending financial assistance and giving in to the demands of the CPP-NPA extortionists. We will not allow this and we remind that their decision to give in will have legal repercussion."
The harassment of a PNP detachment in Escalante City last Sunday was just a cover-up of the infighting among the New People’s Army (NPA) rebels, the military said.
Major Gen. Jose Mabanta Jr., 3rd Infantry Division commander, said in a press statement Wednesday that the harassment of the PNP Regional Mobile Group detachment in Sitio Sampinit Brgy. Libertad in Escalante City last February 24 around 10:40 p.m. was actually another case of NPA in-fighting.
He said it was just a cover-up for killing their member, alias "Poldo."
Military informants with-in the NPA confirmed that a certain alias "Regan" and alias "Poldo" were arguing, as the latter was accused of being a military informant and a traitor, Mabanta said.
Col. Oscar Lactao, commander of the 303rd Brigade here said that it is the irrelevance of the New People’s Army (NPA) which is irreversible.
Lactao issued this statement in reaction to the statement by Ka JB Regalado, spokesman of the Leonardo Panaligan Command of the NPA in central Negros claiming victory over Oplan Bayanihan in central Negros.
The CPP-NPA claimed victory over Oplan Bayanihan of the Armed Forces of the Philippines in Negros citing the increase in their strength by forty percent since the said campaign plan took off more than a year ago until the early part of 2013.
In a press statement emailed yesterday, February 25, 2013 to different media outlets here, Ka JB Regalado, spokesman of the Leonardo Panaligan Command (LPC) of the NPA in Central Negros further claimed that their mass base also grew by 35-40 percent.
"As our society continues to develop socially, politically and economically, their irrelevance is irreversible," Lactao stressed.
Third Infantry Division Commander MGen Jose Z. Mabanta Jr. in a press conference at Avenue Suites in Bacolod City reiterated his call for localized peace talks. “We call on everyone to help the media especially to help us get the message across. Even the La Castellana massacre, should not be a stumbling block for localized peace talks,” Mabanta urged local media present during the presscon.
Mabanta disclosed that prior to the La Castellana incident, the military had been receiving feelers from potential surrenderees that they hope will continue despite the incident.
The 302nd Brigade is currently in pursuit operations against the perpetrators and operations will be stepped up with the influx of intelligence reports.
According to Mabanta, the incident made the NPA all the more divisive and there are in-fighting among themselves.
Army troopers hot on the trail of the suspected New People’s Army rebels behind the massacre ambush in Barangay Puso, La Castellana town stumbled on an empty encampment believed to have been occupied by the fleeing NPA rebels.
Col. Oscar Lactao, 303rd Brigade commander said that one section from the 3rd Scout Ranger Company of the 1st Scout Ranger Battalion discovered the said empty encampment in Barangay Humay Humay, Guihulngan, Negros Oriental during the weekend.
The said encampment is believed to have been occupied by more or less 30 NPA rebels for about two weeks ago.
The revolutionary movement represented by the Communist Party of the Philippines, New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) its armed wing, and its alliance organization, the National Democratic Front (NDF) has not weakened but have grown stronger every year, contrary to what the military claims, its Negros topranking leader, former priest, Frank Fernandez, said in a statement issued December, 2012 yet but which the Negros media was only able to secure this month, for some reasons.
Yearly, too, the government is increasing the military and PNP’s strength in the island, including increasing the number of its paramilitary forces in the form of CAFGUs, continued Fernandez which can only indicate that by deploying large number of its forces in Negros Island, it betrays the fact that it wants to match rebel strength which is also increasing every year, the revolutionary leader added.
Negros Island’s revolu-tionary leader, former priest, Frank Fernandez, debunked and at the same time condemned what he said was the arrest of an innocent civilian, instead of what they claimed was the national CPP-NPA 6th most top ranking leader, Filemon Mendres, whom they reported as having been captured on December 25, 2012, in Tubod Village, Manjutod town, Negros Oriental province.
The man the Army and the PNP-Negros Oriental sup-posedly captured was not Filemon Mendres but an innocent civilian, said Fernandez. He also did not identify the alleged top-ranking CPP-NPA leader but the civilian whom the military and police captured.
But they are subjecting the civilian arrested to physical and mental torture and to apologize to him and his family publicly said Fernandez.
The Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) and its alliance organization, the National Democratic Front (NDF), is intent on building its cadres and increasing its army or guerilla force to 25,000 within a five-year period, from 2010 onwards in order to be at par with government armed forces including its police force.
The Secretary-General of the human rights alliance, Karapatan-Negros, Fred Caña, said the declaration of a joint ceasefire agreement for the holiday season by the Philippine Government and the revolutionary National Democratic Front (NDF), was a welcome development, but which should not be exploited by the army to still conduct supposed perimeter patrols and surveillance of CPP-NPA personalities for use in future operations as have been done in the past.
If these personalities for one, visit their families, they should be allowed to do so without any surveillance, monitoring or any form of intervention from military, police authorities and civil government officials as is the intention of the ceasefire declaration by both sides in the conflict. "But the temporary truce aside, there is no better agreement than a long-lasting one, which resolves the roots of the ongoing conflict which in the first drove the revolutionary forces to wage armed struggle against the government," said Caña.
The solution to the armed conflict, rooted in poverty and injustice could in fact, be resolved by sincerely carrying out genuine agrarian reform and nationalist industrialization."