Dengue may be the cause a student’s death and not because she inhaled the
perfume of her classmate at Victorias City National High School.
Josephine Martinez, class adviser of victim Aira Verdajo, a 15-year old
student and resident of Hda. Yawi, Brgy. 13 in Victorias City.
NFSP President Enrique D. Rojas (right) and UNIFED President Manolet Lamata
(left) converse with Vice-President Jejomar Binay during the American
Independence Day Celebration at the US Embassy in Manila last July 3.*
Martinez said Verdajo was found to have rashes on her skin after she
collapsed inside her classroom after she inhaled or sniffed the perfume of one
of her classmates.
The teenager was rushed to the Ikaayong Lawas Foundation in the city and was
brought home after she regained consciousness.
She however collapsed again at home and was subsequently rushed to the
Teresita Jalandoni Memorial Provincial Hospital in Silay City where she was
pronounce dead on arrival.
Her death certificate indicated she died of cardiac arrest.
Prior to the incident, Martinez said the student was absent for a week due to
high fever, and was able to return to school on June 30.
"It was because her parents’ failure to seek medical attention to determine
her sickness," Martinez disclosed.
Reports from the same school said Verdajo’s case was the second time such
event happened there.