Dengue may be the cause a student’s death and not because she inhaled the perfume of her classmate at Victorias City National High School.
Josephine Martinez, class adviser of victim Aira Verdajo, a 15-year old student and resident of Hda. Yawi, Brgy. 13 in Victorias City.
NFSP President Enrique D. Rojas (right) and UNIFED President Manolet Lamata (left) converse with Vice-President Jejomar Binay during the American Independence Day Celebration at the US Embassy in Manila last July 3.*
Martinez said Verdajo was found to have rashes on her skin after she collapsed inside her classroom after she inhaled or sniffed the perfume of one of her classmates.
The teenager was rushed to the Ikaayong Lawas Foundation in the city and was brought home after she regained consciousness.
She however collapsed again at home and was subsequently rushed to the Teresita Jalandoni Memorial Provincial Hospital in Silay City where she was pronounce dead on arrival.
Her death certificate indicated she died of cardiac arrest.
Prior to the incident, Martinez said the student was absent for a week due to high fever, and was able to return to school on June 30.
"It was because her parents’ failure to seek medical attention to determine her sickness," Martinez disclosed.
Reports from the same school said Verdajo’s case was the second time such event happened there.