A suspect facing robbery charges was arrested by Kabankalan City policemen at about 2:30PM, Wednesday at Purok Paraiso, Brgy. Hilamonan of the said City.
PO3 Rafael Sta. Ana IV with PO2 Olympio Mark Emar and PO1 Antonio Acma effected the arrest of Clever Peñaranda, 31, of Brgy. 4 through an arrest warrant in criminal case number 2013-5945 for robbery.
The long-awaited moment has come today when about 1.57 million Negrenses troop to their respective polling precincts to cast their votes and collectively decide who will be their leaders for the next three years.
A total of 1,574,784 registered voters in Negros Occidental, excluding Bacolod City, will report to their precincts starting 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. today to choose their candidates in the national and local levels.
In the lone district of Bacolod City, which is outside the legislative jurisdiction of Negros Occidental, a total of 259,302 registered voters are expected to form a long queue while waiting for their turns to cast their votes.
A 2,876-strong army trooper from 303rd Infantry Brigade have been dis-patched to the whole of Negros Occidental during the election, according to Col. Jon Aying, brigade commander in a radio inter-view here yesterday.
But he assured that the army is capable of augmen-tation incase there is more untoward incidents to happening as that of the camp in Minuyan, Murcia which has a number of standby troops in case of other eventualities.
Aying said he made the disclosure without prejudice to the army’s strength under the brigade which will eventually give an idea to insurgents in the island.
Aying said they focus their augmentation to some hot spots areas already identified by the COMELEC.
The family of murder victim, the late Judge Henry Arles, will file a motion for reconsideration before the Department of Justice (DOJ), regarding the dismissal of the complaint against alleged masterminds, while seven others named implementers of the plan to assassinate the RTC Branch magistrate in Kabankalan City, his family said, have been made to take the rap, instead.
Making the declarations were Arles’ son, Philip, daughter Ria, a lawyer herself, who both said in an interview and in a press conference, yesterday at a local hotel.
In a phone interview, Ria Arles, said the family was shocked and more so, pained by the DOJ resolution penned according to its dateline, November 2012, yet. She added that they were hurt by the DOJ resolution because based on the charges they filed, they have enough evidence to ensure the complaint will be heard by an RTC court.
KABANKALAN CITY—Re-electionist Governor Alfredo Marañon, Jr. last night expressed confidence here that he will claim victory from the First to Fifth congressional districts of Negros Occidental during the May 13 polls.
Marañon, accompanied by his runningmate, Fifth District SP Member Melvin Ibañez, during the United Negros Alliance (UNA) miting de avance attended by 5,000 residents, added he also stands a big chance to emerge triumphant in the Sixth District perceived to be the bailiwick of his former ally-turned-rival, Vice Gov. Genaro Alvarez, Jr.
"Walanabaluarte, baluarte in this election (There is no more so-called bailiwicks in this election)," the UNA standard bearer told newsmen, adding that in today’s miting, for example, people came here to the plaza on their own.
"Waladiriyahakot crowd," he said.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has dismissed the murder charges filed against Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez Jr., his son Ilog Mayor John Paul Alvarez, and Cauayan Vice Mayor Jerry Tabujara, in connection with the murder of Kabankalan Regional Trial Court Judge Henry Arles last year.
Vice Gov. Genaro Alvarez Jr. (center) and his children, 6th District Rep. Mercedes Alvarez and Ilog Mayor John Paul Alvarez hold a press conference at their residence in Bacolod last night to inform the media that the DOJ has dismissed the murder charges filed against the vice governor and the mayor in connection with the murder of Judge Henry Arles.* (DDangcalan Photo)
The DOJ resolution, which was received by mail by the Poblador, Bautista, and Reyes Law Offices in Manila, the legal counsel of the Alvarez, at 1:10 p.m. yesterday, dismissed the murder charges against the three officials for "insufficient evidence."
A Mass and a caravan will be held this morning by families, relatives, friends and supporters of Kabankalan regional trial court judge Henry Arles, who was gunned down exactly a year ago today.
PRESSCON. Atty. Rhea Arles told the members of the press in attendance yesterday that they believe in the justice system and it is on the hands of the Department of Justice now as to the progress and findings on the case of the death of his father Judge Henry Arles.*(Owen S. Bayog/NDB photo)
Ria and Philip Arles, the judge’s children, said in a press conference in Bacolod yesterday, that a Mass will be held at the Kabankalan City Cathedral at 8 a.m.
After the Mass, the family and friends of Judge Arles will deliver eulogies for the slain judge. After the eulogies, a caravan will follow, starting from the church to the exact spot in Brgy. Manalad Ilog where Arles was killed on April 24 last year.
A resident of Kabankalan City succumbed to multiple hack and stab wounds after he was allegedly attacked by the kins of the neighbor he asked for bet payment, Monday evening.
Police report disclosed that Rex Arbado, 34, of Sitio Catlagan, Brgy. Da-an Banwa, Kabankalan City was pronounced dead by attending physicians at Lorenzo Zayco District Hospital for sustaining multiple wounds on the body. He was reportedly hacked and stabbed by the brothers James, Jessie and Rony Delgado and Jesus Delgado.
Reports added that Jessie, Jesus and Rony Delgado turned themselves in to police after the incident while James Delgado was referred to a hospital in Bacolod City for treatment of his wounds due to the incident.
United Nationalist Alliance senatorial candidate Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri said to his relative Jewel Mae Lobaton that they are "just here for her all the time" if she needs them.
"Jewel is a relative on the side of the Lobaton. We will always help her if she needs us. She is an Ilongga and it is but natural for Ilonggos to help each other in times of need. We are just here for her anytime. It was a mistake that I dragged her during the debate with Koko Pimentel over ABS-CBN. I did it out of sheer frustration. But I am very sorry for Jewel. I assure her that it will never be repeated," he reiterated.
The children of slain Kabankalan Regional Trial Court judge Henry Arles, who was murdered on April 24 last year, yesterday appealed to President Benigno Aquino, Vice President Jejomar Binay, and Justice Secretary Leila de Lima to help them attain speedy justice for their father.
Lawyer Ria Arles, daughter of the judge, said in a press conference at Business Inn that it’s almost a year since their father was murdered, but the Department of Justice (DOJ) has not issued a resolution on the case they filed in July last year.
Ria stressed, however, that they respect the legal process which may take long, and they are stretching their patience even more.