ISABELA — The New People’s Army (NPA) finally denied having to do with the letters threatening some candidates and their supporters in Moises Padilla town in central Negros Occidental from campaigning.
At the same time, the NPA assured Barangay 1 (Poblacion) Kagawad Agustin Grande in the town that he and his group can campaign anytime and anywhere, assuring him that the NPA will not prevent them.
A May 1, 2013 statement from Amor Sierra of the Media Liaison Bureau of the NPA’s Apolinario "Boy" Gatmaitan Command (AGC)-Bagong Hukbong Bayan (BHB) Negros was obtained by NDB in Barangay San Agustin, Isabela, Negros Occ.
Eleven addressees of letters spread out or sent to them allegedly via mail doubted that these came from the New People’s Army (NPA) secretary JB Regalado of Kilusang Larangan Central Negros (KLCN) Kilusang Larangan Negros (KR-N) of Leonardo Panaligan Command dated April 12 and received by them April 18.
The letters contained warning not to support candidates supported by Danding Cojuangco, Peña brothers, (Magdaleno and Bonifacio) Peña; Abello, Montilla, Luvena, Lacson, Garcia, Montelibano families and many others.
The administrator of the Schnitman property in Moises Padilla town claimed that Agustin Grande, a barangay kagawad in Barangay 1 Moises Padilla is allegedly lying in his claim that there are 500 residents affected by what he questioned as the narrowing of the road right of way in the area.
Nennette Teope Caga-anan, the administrator of the Scnitman property dared Grande to show the 500 people he claimed are complaining against the construction of the concrete fencing of said property.
Seven hundred grantees from the Municipality of Isabela, Negros Occ. received P2000 each during the distribution of educational assistance and awarding ceremony led by Gov. Alfredo G. Mara-ñon, Jr., Congressman Alejan-dro Mirasol and Board Member Melvin Ibañez at La Consolacion College in Isabela last Saturday.
According to Congressman Mirasol, the educational assistance is one of the scholarship programs initiated last year.
He said that the amount of P1.4M was allocated for every municipality/city in the 5th District and it was only the Municipality of Isabela which haven’t received the said allocation.
Police authorities in Isabela town are conducting follow-up operation to arrest the two suspects in the shooting to death of a 23-year old local resident 2AM, Saturday.
Reports said, Joven Cabrillos, 23, of Brgy. Mansablay, Isabela was pronounced dead on arrival by attending physicians at Ignacio Lacson Arroyo Memorial Hospital after he was shot on the chest by alias Joefil 34, and Jr Berio, 28, also of the same place as the victim using an unknown caliber of firearm.
Follow-up investigation to determine the motive and to arrest the suspects is underway.
Meanwhile, a 31-year old farm worker was arrested by Brgy. Inapoy kagawad Roberto Tarosan and Wlfredo Flores along with barangay tanods about 4AM, Saturday for violation of the Comelec gun ban.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) is zeroing in on five potential armed groups capable of creating election-related violence in Western Visayas (Region 6) but the Commission on Elections (Comelec) office has yet to validate the report.
In a Philippines News Agency (PNA) report quoting a declassified PNP information, the four of the five groups are based in the province of Negros Occidental:
- The Pena Group of the town of Pulupandan,
- Yap Group in Escalante City,
- the Malabor Group in Isabela
- and Nazareno Group in Moises Padilla town.
There are four inactive partisan armed groups in the province of Negros Occidental while 13 areas were listed in the Election Watch list Area.
This was revealed by records collated by the intelligence units of the Philippine National Police and the 3rd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army. The four inactive partisan armed groups were identified by the Regional Joint Peace and Security Coordinating Center which held its meeting in Iloilo last week.
Also added to the EWAS earlier released by the Provincial Joint Peace and Security Coordinating Center was Pulupandan town.
The list already included the towns of La Castellana, Moises Padilla, Toboso, Cauayan, Isabela,Ilog, Candoni, Murcia, Calatrava and the cities of Sipalay and Escalante.
In the first three weeks of implementation of the COMELEC-imposed gun ban, nine persons have been apprehended by police and military personnel in Negros Occidental alone as per reports reaching the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office.
First to fall was Marjun Gallano last January 13, the start of the election period, who was arrested by Philippine Army personnel in Barangay Canlandog, Murcia after a caliber .38 revolver was seized from his possession.
A civilian was reported shot dead by alleged members of the New People’s Army rebels suspecting him as a military informant.
A report from the 11th IB identified the victim as a certain Dennis Belando, 28 years old.
Belando was shot dead at his residence in Sitio Camandangan, Barangay Riverside, Isabela, Negros Occidental last Wednesday morning, January 16, 2013.
According to the report, the two suspects were reportedly armed with an M16 armalite rifle and a caliber .45 pistol.
Elements of Isabela Police Station are in pursuit of the suspects in the shooting and stabbing of a Brgy. Riverside resident, Wednesday.
Authorities are also gathering information from witnesses on the attack of Dennis Dela Paz, 28, of Sitio Camandangan, Brgy. Isabela who was shot by two unidentified suspects using an undetermined caliber of long and short firearm. It was reported that the victim also sustained stab wounds on different parts of his body.
Dela Paz was declared dead by attending physician at Isabela District Hospital.
Recovered from the crime scene was an empty shell of .45 caliber pistol and a holster.