A magnitude 4.8 quake hit Hinobaan early morning yesterday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) said.
The tremor, which was tectonic in origin, shook the area at 5:06 a.m., with epicenter located nine kilometers west of Hinobaan town at a depth of 39 kilometers.
Phivolcs said the quake was felt at Intensity 4 in Hinoba-an, and Intensity 3 in Sipalay and in Bayawan City, Negros Oriental.
Five wanted persons in Western Visayas were collared by the police this week.
On Wednesday, around 1:45pm, Jerry Dubria, 46, married, of Brgy. Bunsod, Valderama, Antique was arrested by the elements of Valderrama Police station. He was wanted for multiple murder, now detained at the Valderama Police Station (PS).
On Thursday, 3:30pm, Jesryl Prebillo, 40, married, was arrested by the members of Jamindan PS in his residence at Brgy. Lucero, Jamindan, Capiz. He was wanted for two counts of rape. He is detained at the Jamindan PS.
Erning Estrao, official candidate for mayor in Hinobaan, Negros Occidental, of United Negros Alliance (UNA) and Mike S. Baylon, Provincial Coordinator of # 70 ABA Party-list, met by coincidence to let them know they have to indorse each other to fans, supporters and residents of the town.
Baylon conducted an information and education campaign for # 70 ABA Party-list in Hinobaan. Richard Verba, ABA Municipal Coordinator, and other supporters guided the provincial coordinator through out their sorties. Verba and other ABA volunteers also seek the voters’ help for Estrao.
Hinobaan town Mayor Ma. Teresa Bilbao, and those who allegedly caused the closure of Radyo Natin-Hinobaan, an affiliate of the Manila Broadcasting Company (MBC), has tagged them as "modern-day oppressors of the Fourth Estate," in a statement which accompanied a press conference called by franchise owner, Segundino Taladico, yesterday at the Negros Press Club (NPC) building.
Radio Natin _ Hinoba-an owner/manager Segundino Taladico told members of the media that the closure of their station is a form of press freedom repression.* (Owen S. Bayog/NDB photo)
Taladico and Radyo Natin anchorman, Vicente Paolo Pampliega, presided over the press conference yesterday.
Dengue killed two Negrenses—one each in Bago and Sagay cities, as the number of cases reached to 407 in a little over two months, a Provincial Health Office (PHO) report read.
The figure is up by 387 percent from last year’s 86 cases in the same period from January 1 to February 16, the PHO report added.
There was no fatality in the same period last year, it added.
Of the Top 10 dengue cases, eight are cities and two are municipalities.
Topping the list is Talisay City with 58 cases; San Carlos City—50, Victorias City 39, Bago City—37, Silay City—25, La Carlota City—23, Escalante City—20, Murcia—18, Manapla—15, and Sagay City—14.
Local News: Three Subjects of Punitive Action by Southern Negros Revolutionary Forces; One Issued a Warrant of Arrest
The revolutionary New People’s Army (NPA), which is under the command of the Communist Party of the Philippine-Negros Island, said in a written declaration made available to the Negros media, that it has issued a warrant of arrest against one Rene Lim of Pasalan Subvillage, Brgy. Caliling, Cauayan town in Southern Negros for trafficking in illegal, prohibited drugs, shabu, after he failed to respond to a summons issued by the Armando Sumayang Jr. Command of the Southwest Negros Front, its spokesman, Andrea Guerrero, said in a statement issued only over the weekend.
Lim was issued a subpoena by the Revolutionary People’s Court last November 2011, but purposely failed to answer the summons, Andrea Guer-rero, the Sumayang’s Command, nom de gurre woman spokesperson said.
Without Lim answering the subpoena containing the charges’ summation, the NPA has been ordered by the revolutionary court to arrest and capture Lim and if it would be difficult at the moment because of the problem of security, the accused would be tried in absentia instead. The accused would be entitled to bring along witnesses and a lawyer but in absence whoever will speak in his defense, whatever, the verdict against Lim, would be carried out by the NPA.
Major Gen. Jose Mabanta, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army yesterday said that in a year or two, southern Negros once considered as a hotbed of insurgency will be declared as insurgency free.
This, as he also stated that the Philippine Army will refocus efforts with the slated 2013 elections.
Mabanta issued this statement during the turn over ceremonies yesterday, January 9, 2013 at the 47th IB where Lt. Col. Rodrigo Sosmeña was replaced by Lt. Col. Enriquito Deocades as battalion commander.
There will be a new commander for the 47th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army based in Cauayan town in southern Negros Occ. by January 9, 2013, Wednesday.
Lt. Col. Rodrigo Sosmeña of PMA class ’91 will end his two years stint as commanding officer of the said unit and will be replaced by Lt. Col. Enriqueto Deocades of PMA class ’93 in turn over ceremonies that will be presided by Major Gen. Jose Mabanta, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry Division.
Sosmeña, who was assigned as commanding officer of the 47th Infantry Battalion for exactly two years and two months is set to assume as commandant of the Army training school in the 3rd Infantry Division headquarters at Camp Peralta, Jamindan, Capiz.
The wrath of typhoon "Pablo" (international name Bopha) that struck several provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao on the first week of December 2012 has taken away hundreds of lives and hundreds of others missing. Pablo destroyed not only houses and town centers but worst of all, farm lands that were the main sources of living. Gathering from the news, people remain struggling for their basic needs: food, medicine, shelter and clothing as access to areas that were hit the most was difficult and the amount of support coming from the government, NGOs and the private sector seem insufficient to cover the actual figure of need.
La Consolacion College Bacolod through its outreach arm, the Mother Rita Barcelo Center initiated a relief operation and fund raising to support the government and other organizations in helping the survivors from the tragedy. The combined efforts of students, faculty and non-teaching personnel have raised about P15,000 in cash and assorted goods.