A political ally of comebacking municipal mayor Cicero Borromeo, sees positive development for the backwater town, after his win in the May 13, 2013 election.
Anti-Graft campaigner Penuel Tanio, a loyal political ally of Borromeo, who campaigned doggedly and determinedly for the comebacking mayor said, things are looking up for the town, after Borromeo wrested the local government once more away from Manzano. Borromeo, who had earlier returned to the province from the US, won an unprecedented one term over Candoni Mayor Jechonias Manzano but in the last election, he once more lost to Manzano.
Now, Borromeo, according to Tanio, intends to make up for lost time as mayor in a mountain town, which Tanio said could be at the top of underdeveloped municipalities in the province.
Everybody wants to become a successful boxer in Candoni where Leopoldo Serrantes was the first boxer to emerge in this hinterland town in the 6th District.
Serrantes was an Olympian fighting for the Philippines in the 1988 Seoul Olympics as light flyweight. He won the bronze medal, losing to Ivailo Kristov of Bulgaria in the semifinals. After many years of hiatus, Candoni rose to its feet and in the recent Panaad sa Negros boxing tournament, nine of its boxers entered the finals and five snatched gold medals and declared overall champions.
The Candoni boxers have reasons to be glad after a prominent family adopted all boxers to its stable, the Troyce Stable, whom the owner had asked not to be identified for political reason.
Boxing tops the sports events as one of the attractions when the 20th Panaad sa Negros Festival, the mother of all festivals in Negros Occidental will kick off April 8 to 14, 2013 at Panaad Park and Sports Stadium in Barangay Mansilingan, Bacolod City as the main venue.
Provincial Sports Coordinator head and Executive Assistant to the governor Angel "Nonong" Verdeflor disclosed this recently, claiming that Negros Occidental will focus more on the event that produces Olympic-caliber boxers.
"It is all systems go", he added.
Sports coordinators from Local Government Units (LGU) headed by Sagay City’s Benzon Fernandez had met two months before to map out plans for the staging of different sports competition.
At least 20 LGUs are all out supportive of having sports events to make this "Panaad sa Negros" a success, Verdeflor added.
Dengue killed two Negrenses—one each in Bago and Sagay cities, as the number of cases reached to 407 in a little over two months, a Provincial Health Office (PHO) report read.
The figure is up by 387 percent from last year’s 86 cases in the same period from January 1 to February 16, the PHO report added.
There was no fatality in the same period last year, it added.
Of the Top 10 dengue cases, eight are cities and two are municipalities.
Topping the list is Talisay City with 58 cases; San Carlos City—50, Victorias City 39, Bago City—37, Silay City—25, La Carlota City—23, Escalante City—20, Murcia—18, Manapla—15, and Sagay City—14.
Coming to his father’s defense, a 28-year old resident of Brgy. Felisa in Bacolod City reportedly stabbed his father’s attacker following a commotion 10PM, Sunday.
Police report said, Ronilo Capuyan, of Purok Kipot, Brgy. Felisa voluntarily turned himself in after he stabbed Elmer Garcia, 20, a native of Brgy. Banga, Candoni town.
Investigation revealed Garcia hacked Capuyan’s father, Raul, 58, after a disagreement resulting to a ruckus between them. The older Capuyan sustained a hack wound on the forehead; while Garcia was wounded on the left chest when Ronilo retaliated.
Both injured men were brought to Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital (CLMMRH) for medical treatment.
Police authorities in Ilog town are on manhunt operation to arrest the suspects of a heist that took place at Kilometer 106, Brgy. Dancalan about 11:45 p.m., Friday.
Initial investigation disclosed that a Mitsubishi panel canter owned by Ionasia Incorporated with plate number JDS 660 driven by Agusto Bula, 30, with salesman, Marlon Cacho, 32, both of Brgy. Banago on their way to Kabankalan City from Candoni when waylaid by three unidentified suspects.
They were approaching Kilometer 106 in Brgy. Dancalan when the suspects on board a motorcycle armed with shotgun and short firearm flagged them down and robbed them at gunpoint.
Major Gen. Jose Mabanta, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army yesterday said that in a year or two, southern Negros once considered as a hotbed of insurgency will be declared as insurgency free.
This, as he also stated that the Philippine Army will refocus efforts with the slated 2013 elections.
Mabanta issued this statement during the turn over ceremonies yesterday, January 9, 2013 at the 47th IB where Lt. Col. Rodrigo Sosmeña was replaced by Lt. Col. Enriquito Deocades as battalion commander.
There will be a new commander for the 47th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army based in Cauayan town in southern Negros Occ. by January 9, 2013, Wednesday.
Lt. Col. Rodrigo Sosmeña of PMA class ’91 will end his two years stint as commanding officer of the said unit and will be replaced by Lt. Col. Enriqueto Deocades of PMA class ’93 in turn over ceremonies that will be presided by Major Gen. Jose Mabanta, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry Division.
Sosmeña, who was assigned as commanding officer of the 47th Infantry Battalion for exactly two years and two months is set to assume as commandant of the Army training school in the 3rd Infantry Division headquarters at Camp Peralta, Jamindan, Capiz.
By George M. De La Cruz
A political analyst and an election officer opined the same: “Political bloc is looming in southern Negros Occidental which is so obvious.” And these are in the areas of Cauayan, Himamaylan, Ilog, Kabankalan City, and Sipalay City.
The duo who refused anonymity, theorized a “landslide” vote in favor of vice governor Genaro Alvarez Jr., a gubernatorial candidate against incumbent governor Alfredo Maranon Jr., who maintained in saying, that he is not “unfazed” of the trend. “It’s the people of Negros to decide who is the right man,” said earlier the governor, who banked on his performances and achievements in his first term as governor.
Three men in Negros Occidental were reportedly stabbed and hacked earlier this week in separate incident.
Over Sagay City, a 30-year old resident of Brgy. Poblacion 2 was waylaid and attacked by seven suspects at the City’s public plaza while on his way home.
Police identified the victim as Jerome Sincero, of Purok Coscolluela who, according to initial investigation was on his way home with a friend passing through the plaza when the suspects approached them with one of them stabbing the victim in the back.