80 rebels give up in Negros Occ.
A total of 80 rebels heeded the repeated calls of Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr., since he became governor, to abandon the armed struggle.
Speaking during the centennial celebration of the La Castellana town Friday morning, Maranon said the former rebels are now enjoying the assistance extended to them by the provincial government of Negros Occidental, aside from the national government program under Comprehensive Local Integration Program (CLIP).
The governor also reported that eight former rebels in the province received last week livelihood assistance of P50,000 each, on top of the P20,000 financial assistance they initially received from the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
Marañon challenged those who are still fighting the government to come down from the mountains, and work with them.
“Our objectives and your objectives are the same, which is to uplift the lives of the people and develop the province. Let’s not fight against each other,” Marañon said.
The provincial government has been a recipient of “Bayanihan Award” from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), in recognition of its unwavering support to the peace and development programs of the Philippine Army in Negros.
LA CASTELLANA MAYOR.
For her part, La Castellana Mayor Rhumyla Nicor-Mangilimutan said that not a single insurgency-related incident took place in her town after she took office.
“Let’s talk about the problem peacefully,” Maranon added.*(NDB)