From the Editor-in-Chief: What Makes Bacolod Tick (Part III)

PLACES OF INTERESTS


From the Editor-in-Chief

Fountain of Justice - In front of the Bacolod City Hall, the former site of the old City Hall

The New Government Center - At present a sight to behold, rising from out of the open space of fresh greenery, catching the attention of passersby who sometimes call it THE WHITE HOUSE.

Pope John Paul II Tower - Located at the Bacolod Reclamation Area.

Museu Negrense de La Salle - The only school-based museum in Bacolod City that was born out of a dream to preserve vital documents, photographs, cultural articrafts and the history of Negros.

Dizon-Ramos Museum - Housed in the ancestral home of Raymundo L. Dizon and Hermelinda V. Ramos. The house which was built in 1950 was converted into a museum in 2007.

AID Foundation Techno Park - An ideal place for a group field trip, “lakbay aral”, or when you are in search of renewable energy and organic farming systems. The Park showcases the technologies of Alternative Indigenous Development Foundation, Inc. (AIDFI).

Bells of San Sebastian - The centennial bells of San Sebastian Cathedral were brought down from their places in the belfry and mounted at the right side of the churchyard in 1976, the 100th year anniversary of the Cathedral.

San Sebastian Cathedral - Built in 1876 upon the initiative of Fr. Mauricio Ferrero, a Recollect friar. It became a cathedral in 1933 is one of the century -old churches found in Negros Occidental.

Negros Museum - The Negros Museum is a unique historical and humanities museum in that in does not collect antiques but stories about the people of Negros Occidental.

Palacio Episcopal - Older than the San Sebastian Cathedral by approximately 50 years, the Bishop’s Palace was built by Fr. Julian Gonzaga but was eventually finish only in the 1890’s.

Museum Negrense de La Salle -The only school-based museum in Bacolod City that was born out of a dream to preserve vital documents, photographs, cultural artifacts and the history of Negros.

Bacolod Plaza Bandstand and Gazebo - Right at the center of Bacolod Public Plaza, the bandstand was constructed in 1927 to complement the weekend cultural activities of the early Bacoleños, Names of world-famous composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner circle the sides of the roofing, attesting to the early Bacolodnon’s familiarity with European culture.

Yulo’s Park - The park is the site of the ancestral home of the prominent Yulo family. The Yulo’s belong to a clan of politician’s that helped shaped the status of Negros Occidental.

Negros Occidental High School Alumni Promenade - Fronting the Negros Occidental High School along Araneta Street.

Negros Occidental High School Alumni Promenade - Fronting the Negros Occidental High School along Araneta Street.

Barangay sang Virgen Chapel - The Sta. Clara Subdivision chapel features a unique mural mosaic measuring a 9 ft. x 21 ft. of the lady of the Barangay Sang Virgen done on a collage of 95,000 pieces of shells of various sizes, shades and colors.

San Antonio Abad Church - This crown-shaped church features stations of the cross done by Bacolod’s top artists. It also features an altar sculpture “The Risen Christ” done by a national Artist, Solomon Saprid.

Rizal Centennial Park - Fronting the Rizal Elementary School along Araneta Street.

Negros Occidental Golf and Country Club, Inc. - Golf is one of the most popular sports attractions in Bacolod today as local golf course - The Negros Occidental golf and Country Club, Inc. provides challenging 18-hole adventures for amateur and professional golfers, with panoramic views of scenic Mounts Marapara and Patag.

Negros Forest Ecological Foundation & Biodiversity Center - A breeding and rescue center for endangered and endemic animals found in Negros Island as well as other places in the Philippines Visayan spotted deer, Luzon bleeding heart pigeon, Philippine Visayan Tarictic hornbill, Philippine hawk-eagle, monitor lizard, Philippine serpent eagle and the sailfin lizard.

Bacolod Western Visayas Clonal Nursery - The Bacolod Western Visayas Clonal Nursery lies on a one-hectare flat and gently rolling grassland terrain located 2.5 kms. away from Barangay Alangilan which is about 17 kms. from the city proper of Bacolod.

The ANP Showroom - Considered as the country’s number one trade house and pasalubong center, the Showroom is an alternative giftshop that houses arts and crafts that Negros island had to offer - from furniture to furnishings, ceramics, scented candles, pottery, novelties, ladies/children’s garments, fashion accessories, souvenir t-shirts as well as indigenous foods.

Recuerdos de Bacolod - “Recuerdos” (souvenirs) is know for its collection of excavated items and heirlooms, wooden saints, furniture and pottery pieces as early as the 7th and 9th century. These antique items were taken mostly from Bohol and Panay.

Panaad Park and Stadium - Located in Barangay Mansilingan near the boundary of Barangay Alijis, this 25-hectare sports complex and park is known to be one of the best in the country and has already been host to a lot of national sport events.

Fort San Juan - Was constructed in 1888 mainly thru the initiative of Don Ramon Pastor, the governadorcillo at the time and with the cooperation of Recollect Friar, Fray Mauricio Ferrefo, who designated and constructed the Fort San Juan, with Fernando Cuenca, also built the San Sebastian Cathedral.

Provincial Building - An imposing structure of Romanesque neoclassical architectural design, is the official seat of the government of the Province of Negros Occidental.

Paghimud-os Provincial Capitol Park - “Ang paghimud-os “ which literally means “The Struggle” is a fine sculpture erected at the east entrance of the Capitol Lagoon Park.

Provincial Park and Lagoon - It is located In front of the Capitol Building. To the north and south ends of the rectangular lagoon stand the statues of a woman and female water buffalo and a man and a male water buffalo, respectively.*

 

50 Tokhang Surrenderers Finish Wellness Program

By Edith B. Colmo

The 8th batch of the wellness and recovery program of Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 has produced 50 tokhang surrenderers (49 males and 1 female) as graduates in the intensive care program of the Drug Rehabilitation and Treatment Program.

According to Pol. Supt. Gilbert Gorero, PRO public information officer, this brings to a total 456 Tokhang surrenderers who availed of the program. Most of them are undergoing “After-Care” service from DSWD, TESDA, DOLE and other government agencies offering training, seminar, etc. to capacitate and rehabilitate drug surrenderers.

Police Senior Superintendent Jesus D. Cambay, Deputy Regional Director for Operation and the same time Chairman of Oversight Committee on Illegal Drugs plans to extend the wellness and recovery program to different Provincial Police Offices in the region. Records show that only Iloilo City and Antique Province are intensifying recovery and wellness program to drug surrenderers that is categorized under mild and moderate use of substance.

PRO 6 Regional Director Police Chief Supt. Cesar Hawthorne R. Binag said, “We Transform as we Perform” to continue the Camp-based Wellness and Recovery Program to all surenderers. Barangay Officials in the City of Iloilo are encouraged to enroll their Tokhang surenderers for the 9th Batch. Registration is ongoing at Camp Martin Delgado under Police Community Relations Division.*

 

 

 

Writer: