Local News: Vice Gov Dares NBI to Name Suspects in the Arles Slay
Vice Governor Genaro "Lim-ao" Alvarez Jr. yesterday dared Ferdinand Lavin, head of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Bacolod, to name the influential families that he had linked to the killing of Kabankalan Regional Trial Court Judge Henry Arles.
Alvarez said if the NBI names its suspects, the persons concerned can defend themselves.
In an interview at the Governor’s Office last Tuesday, Lavin said they are "seriously investigating four powerful clans in southern Negros," as may be behind the killing of Arles in April.
When asked by mediamen if one of the clans being investigated is a member of the vice governor’s family, Lavin said, "If you are asking me about that, we are seriously looking into that angle."
When asked to confirm again, he said, "Being considered, yes."
But on Wednesday, Lavin denied he implicated the vice governor’s family in the case.
"Wala akong binanggit na pangalan ng pamilya, ang sinasabi ko ay our pieces of evidence so far lead to a powerful and influential clan in the south," he added.
Alvarez said the implication of his family in the Arles killing is politically motivated.
"Is this what happens after I am rumored to be running for governor?" Alvarez asked, without elaborating.
Alvarez said he does not even know Arles, and his family has no reason to be mad at Arles or to have him assassinated.
In the first place, my family has no case before Arles’ sala, he said.
The NBI is conducting a parallel investigation with the Task Group Arles, which was created by the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office.
Lavin said they based their theory on the court cases handled by Arles which the NBI is scrutinizing.
The 62-year-old Arles succumbed to three gunshot wounds, when he was shot with a .45 caliber pistol by the gunman who fled using a tricycle, in Ilog town last April 24.*(DBDangcalan)