Unsung Hero: GEN. HILARIO CAMINO MONCADO

• He was born on November 3, 1898 at Balamban, Cebu.
  • He migrated to Honolulu, Hawaii on March 5, 1914 and worked at Koloa Sugar plantation, Island of Kauai, Hanapepe County and he was known in the community as "Lario Largo" meaning a tall person
  • He went to San Francisco, California on December 6, 1915 and at Karlock, Alaska in 1916 to work in salmon factories.
  • He volunteered to go to France when the U.S. declared war against Germany on April 2, 1917 but he was refused admission because he was under age.
  • He worked under then Food Administrator Herbert Hoover, an appointee of Pres. Woodrow Wilson.
  • He studied at Lowell High School, California and became a member of the Oratorical and Debating Team. After finishing High School and College, he enrolled at the College of Law, University of Southern California. His favorite subjects are: Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Corporation Law.
  • He worked as a part time librarian at the County Law Library, Los Angeles and he was selected as Poet Laureate in law school.
  • He was engaged in a journalistic controversy with Mr. Carlos P. Romulo, then journalism student at Columbia University, New York.
  • In 1921, he handled a case involving a Filipino who was not allowed to marry a white person. He won the case.
  • As a law student in 1922, he was allowed to practice before the Municipal and Justice of the Peace Courts. He defended Mexican, Chinese, Negro and Filipino cases.
  • In 1923, he graduated from law school. He took the California Bar examinations but his test paper was not corrected because he was not an American citizen.
  • In 1924, he founded, published and edited a monthly publication entitled NEWS SERVICE. It was later named FILIPINO NATION.
  • In 1925, he wrote a book entitled DIVINITY OF WOMAN.
  • On the same year, there was a clamor for his leadership among Filipinos in America.
  • On December 27, 1925, he founded the Filipino Federation of America and bought a mansion at Los Angeles, California which is presently being taken cared of by the officers of the Filipino Federation of America.
  • He obtained a Master of Laws degree in 1929 from Southwestern University, California and learned to play golf.
  • In 1930, he defeated a Filipino Exclusion Bill filed by Cong. Welch of California. It was approved by Pres. Hoover, his former boss.
  • While working against the Filipino Exclusion Bill at Washington, D.C., he met then Speaker Manuel Roxas of the Philippines.
  • Obtained his Doctorate Degree in Law from Olympic University in 1931.
  • The Filipino Federation of America sent him to the Philippines to reserve one million hectares of land in Mindanao for Federation members who wanted to return to the Philippines.
  • He espoused and initiated Philippine Independence as early as January 26, 1932. In the same year, he established the MONCADO COLONIES where present day Moncadistas live. Moncadistas are strictly vegetarian.
  • On the same year, he wrote two (2) books: WORLD TRAVEL MEMORIES and AMERICA, THE PHILIPPINES AND THE ORIENT.
  • He made a World Tour via the S.S. Leviathan and personally met Mahatma Gandhi of India. He was also a good friend of then Gov. Gen. Francis Burton Harrison. He studied Kabala at the Indian College of Mystery in Calcutta, India.
  • In 1934, he returned to the Philippines and was elected as Constitutional Convention (CONCON) delegate representing the 6th District of Cebu along with Claro M. Recto, among others. He framed the PREAMBLE of the 1935 Constitution and it was unanimously approved.
  • He was also the author of woman suffrage. He was commissioned Brigadier General in the Army Reserve Force.
  • In 1936, he was selected as one among 15 passengers to travel on the first commercial flight of Pan American Airways from California to the Philippines.
  • He ran as Congressman in Lanao province but he was defeated due to electoral fraud committed by the incumbent, Cong. Tomas Cabili aided by President Manuel L. Quezon. He filed an election protest and it was resolved after two years. He won the election protest.
  • Bouyed by this development, he announced that he would run for President. He challenged Pres. Manuel L. Quezon during the November 11, 1941 elections. Out of 3.5 million votes, he lost by only 10,000.
  • On December 7, 1941, World War II was declared and Moncado could not return to the U.S. He was arrested by the Japanese Imperial Army because of his Dominion status political platform.
  • He was tortured at Fort Santiago, but he escaped and founded the Crusaders Army by successfully recruiting 2.5 million volunteer guerillas all over the country. This paved the way for the smooth return of Gen. MacArthur by mobilizing his guerrillas from the Crusaders Army.
  • He also helped rescue American internees and inmates at UST. The intelligence section of the Crusaders Army of Moncado helped track the whereabouts of Gen. Tomoyuki Yamashita.
  • He defeated the Makapili forces of Gen. Yamashita and collaborators, Gen. Artemio Recarte and Benigno Ramos in a bloody battle at Montalban, Rizal on Nov. 4, 1944. Helped the American liberators headed by Gen. Krueger when they landed on the beach of Lingayen Gulf, Pangasinan in January 1945.
  • Charged with 14 counts of Treason in 1946 (Moncado v. People's Court, 81 Phil. 220). He met Gen. Yamashita at Bilibid Prisons pending his case. He was subsequently acquitted. His lawyers were Attys. Vicente Francisco and Daniel Z. Romualdez.
  • In 1951, he wrote a golf book entitled 360 deg. Swing. Member, Wack Wack Golf.
  • In 1952, Cong. Farrington of Hawaii sponsored two relief bills in Congress for Moncado and his wife, to be American citizens. Because of the adjournment of Congress, it failed to pass the bill. He was given a notice of voluntary departure to any chosen country. He chose Tijuana, Mexico and died there under mysterious circumstances in 1956.

HIS MORAL PHILOSOPHY

MAN’S MORAL CONCEPT

Without society there is no union

Without union there is
no strength
Without strength there is
no power

Without power there is
no beauty
Without beauty there is
no competition

Without competition there is no work
Without work there is
no happiness
Without happiness there is no peace
Without peace, there is
no God.

He also founded the EQUI FRILI BRIUM CHURCH and they are still existent up to this day with die hard followers in the following places:

1. National Headquarters, Felix Huertas, Manila
2. Balamban, Cebu
3. Samal Island, Davao
4. Marawi City, Lanao
5. Lasam, Cagayan Valley
6. Kitaotao, Bukidnon
7. Panglao, Bohol
8. Camotes Island, Cebu
9. Sudlon, Cebu
10. Sogod, Southern Leyte.*